Diamond rings have been seen as the ultimate romantic gift for hundreds of years, often associated with engagements, anniversaries and special birthdays. Our fascination with diamonds is universal, with cultures from all around the world revering this precious gemstone for its unique beauty, strength and symbolism. But what is it that makes diamonds so special, and where do they come from?
Here are some interesting facts that you may not already know about diamonds.
- Diamonds are made entirely of carbon. Deep beneath the earth’s surface, the heat makes the carbon atoms bond together, creating beautiful diamonds.
- Deep volcanic eruptions bring the diamonds closer to the surface of the earth, where they can be mined.
- These carbon atoms are arranged in a tetrahedral structure, which makes them incredibly strong.
- The strength of a mineral is measured by the Mohs scale, which ranges from 1 to 10 at the top. Diamonds have a hardness of 10 on the scale.
- As the hardest natural material in the world, diamonds are often used in industrial tools and machinery.
- The word diamond is derived from the Greek word “adamas”, which means indestructible.
- The only thing that can scratch or damage a diamond is another diamond.
- Diamond is the best thermal conductor of all natural substances.
- Most of the diamonds in the world are found in Africa or India.
- Approximately 26,000 kg/57,000 lb of diamonds are mined each year, equating to billions of dollars
- The term “blood diamond” refers to diamonds that are sold to finance wars. This is the subject of a 2006 film of the same name, starring Jennifer Connelly and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- The value of a diamond is a strict process that depends on its cut, colour, clarity and carat.
- The cut of a diamond affects its lustre and shine – the more precise and intricate the cutting process, the greater the shine will be.
- The Koh-i-Noor diamond was once considered to be the largest in the world. Found in India, it is currently stored in the Tower of London as part of the British Crown Jewels.
- The Hope Diamond weighs 45.52 carats and is famous for being cursed. The boron in its crystal structure makes the diamond appear blue.
- The Tiffany Yellow Diamond was discovered in South Africa, weighing a huge 287.42 carats. Famous jeweller Charles Tiffany had it cut into a cushion shape with 90 facets (sides) for a spectacular shine.
- The 140.64 carat Regent Diamond was found in an Indian mine and has been in the Louvre, Paris since 1887.
- Scientists started researching the possibility of synthetic diamonds in the 1940s, and the first man made diamond was produced in the 1950s.
- Synthetic diamonds can be made a number of ways, including subjection to high temperatures, detonation and chemical vapour deposition.
- Cubic zirconias are a cheaper alternative to diamonds because they are durable, hard and cheap and can have an intense shine.
- Diamond is the birthstone for April.
- Diamonds are billions of years old.
- Dubai is one of the best places to buy a quality diamond at a cheaper price, due to its tax free status.
- An increasing number of people are choosing to buy diamonds online, because online stores are able to offer cheaper prices and a greater range of choice than traditional bricks and mortar stores.
- The largest diamond ever found was the Cullinan diamond, at a huge 3106 carats. It was discovered in South Africa in 1905 and gifted to King Edward by the mine’s owner, before being cut into nine large diamonds and a hundred small diamonds. The biggest three are now part of the Crown Jewels display at The Tower of London.
Diamond jewellery is a big investment, so you need to be sure you are buying the best possible product for your money before you begin. If the jewellery is a gift for a loved one such as an engagement ring, it’s even more important that you make the right decision. Here at Dubai Sparkle we understand the importance of choosing the perfect diamond for your situation and budget, and we have a huge range of quality diamond jewellery for sale to suit a variety of tastes and budgets.
Every piece of jewellery purchased from Dubai Sparkle comes with a diamond certificate and manufacturer warranty, delivered securely for free to customers all around the world. Our dedicated team of diamond experts are happy to answer any questions you may have – please contact us for information. For quality diamond jewellery at accessible prices, visit our online store today at www.dubaisparkle.com
Watch out for the second part of our interesting facts about diamonds, also available on the Dubai Sparkle blog.